Last update : 16/3/2023
Archive Blog Logs :
OK, if you're reading this blogpost you've probably seen some updates on some Android pages, despite me promising to no longer update them (or you didn't notice any Android page updates, so in that case you now know). Welp, I'll be really clear here : A13 will be the last Android version I'm touching. Starting with A14 & beyond, I'm permanently done with Android; and I will no longer create and/or update all Android content, except for my personal app list and/or rants. Previously, I said I'm done with Android since 17/2/2023, but then I made updates despite the fact I should have never did it, so sorry for that lack of clarity.
As a result of this change, if anyone would like to maintain those pages (or add it to their site), feel free to do so.
To close this blogpost, we're now live in Codeberg.
Well, it's official now. I'm officially done with Android. However, I'll keep the content up since there's probably no other sites that does Android stuff correctly.
Randomly browsed /r/FREEMEDIAHECKYEAH & found out I got featured there, so thanks for the exposure guys! Though just keep in mind that I'm pretty much the only guy maintaining this site & my time for the site got really cut by work & Fate/GO grinding, so I won't be able to update the site as often as I would like to. Either way, here's yet another list of my personal life changelogs:
- AetherSX2 development died (and its developer seemingly vanished from the internet), so RIP. Idiots are why humanity can't have nice things.
- Got one hot take on Android: The entire thing's a constantly moving target no thanks to Goolag actively breaking stuff with their updates. Not to mention many custom ROMs attempting the same stuff without getting things right. In addition, here are 3 more stuff I don't like from Android that no custom ROMs has ever tackled.
- Material "pretty sure this joke's a tiny garden by now, fertilized by the dead horse's bonemeal that we had just beaten many sentences ago" You starting with A12 & the shit "basic" colors. Yeah, it still sucks (not as much as it used to be, mainly because I somehow got used to it), and I already mentioned this so many times. But I just won't be missing one last shot on this shit.
- Sometimes, when re-inserting a microSD card back into the phone's microSD slot, it gets repopulated with empty new folders (if not present) for Alarms, Android, Audiobooks, DCIM, Documents, Download, Movies, Music, Notifications, Pictures, Podcasts, Recordings, & Ringtones. This behavior is present starting with A10 AFAICR, with the first boot (at least it doesn't happen randomly); and since A11, it worsened to this state.
4-7 audio folders, 2 picture folders. That's how much that got made every god-damn time. Out of all those, I only kept Android, DCIM, Documents, Movies (though it should've been Videos), & Music.
In addition, Movies, Music, & Pictures are the most persistent, re-adding themselves every re-insertion.
- Random removal of permission & data after some time if an app was left unused, enabled by default. This behavior can only be disabled per-app, not systemwide.
- One of my siblings went back from Japan & got themselves a Nintendo Switch (OLED); and got me to play Mario Party with them. The game is a bit less fair than the DS version (from the last one I remembered), but it got me somewhat interested in the console, which got me to Skyline (instead of putting a Switch in my wishlist - 13/2/2023 Update : Got myself a Switch V2 since I'm still not convinced with Skyline). So far, here are a few things I can say about Skyline.
- Button mapping with the DualSense is a pain. D-pad & right joystick doesn't properly work, forcing me to use the touchscreen controller which at least works, but was a pain to set up as unlike AetherSX2's touchscreen controller, Skyline's doesn't snap into place. Also, unlike the aforementioned AetherSX2 (and PPSSPP), the d-pad & ABXY touchscreen buttons are treated as separate buttons.
- Skyline's developers & contributors bans those caught using "pirated" game files. One example can be seen in this issue.
- Most of Skyline's activities (including several add-ons) are locked behind discord, a notoriously toxic walled garden. In addition, bleeding edge builds are locked behind a Patreon subscription (that needs to be tied to a discord account), which allows access to a discord group containing the builds.