Notes on Artix music apps
Last updated : 19/12/2022
As Quod Libet doesn't seem to satisfy me at the moment, I will be looking for another music app for Artix (or probably get used to Quod Libet).
My personal requirements
Here are the things I will need for my next music app:
- Available in Artix repos (world / galaxy / universe) preferred, though Arch repos (extra / community) is a fine minimum, as long as the app isn't dependent on systemd.
- GTK(2/3)-only (GTK3 preferred as XFCE dependency), no Qt dependencies whatsoever.
- Having a consistent & reliable maintenance, both from upstream & repos' maintainers / packagers.
- Create playlists from the app with folders, preferably without having to select one track at a time or use a playlist file.
Some nice to have things for the next music app:
- Tag editing - if not available, a separate application for tag editing is fine.
With my requirements out of the way, here are the candidates:
Back to top
- Formerly successful :
- Quod Libet : Recommended by Dig Deeper. Tag editing is available via Ex Falso (which is installed alongside Quod Libet), though playlist creation requires selecting one track at a time / using a playlist file. It is available in Arch community repo.
- Failing after personal testing :
- lxmusic : While available in galaxy, I couldn't get it to recognize my library.
Artix (XFCE) personal use app list
Index - computers