Pale Moon browser notes
Last updated : 19/9/2023 (Incomplete, additions required)
My personal notes on Pale Moon - desktop's least terrible browser & the only browser I would even consider using before everything else. Note that there's no mention of either White Star (a Pale Moon fork aimed at FreeBSD & MacOS by dbsoft, a Pale Moon contributor) or Basilisk (Pale Moon with a more Firefox-esque defaults; research required) at the moment.
Default connections are found in Spyware Watchdog's old report, with summary listed below.
- palemoon.start.me (Pale Moon default home page) connects to Go-ogle analytics.
- Various auto-updates that can be disabled from either GUI and/or about:config
- Search suggestion enabled by default, sending request to search engine for every letter. Default search engine is DuckDuckGo.
- Automatic OCSP querying, can (optionally) be disabled in GUI & about:config
Mitigating default connections
These mitigations should be done at 1st launch after installing Pale Moon, preferably while not connected to the internet.
These modifications won't reset if done after Pale Moon has internet access for the first time.
- geo:enabled : false
- network.dns.blockDotOnion : false (optional, necessary for browsing darknet with Pale Moon)
- OCSP (optional, since OCSP is a security feature and/or potential privacy breach)
- services.sync.prefs.sync.security.OCSP.enabled : 0
- security.OCSP.GET.enabled : false
- security.OCSP.require : 0
- security.OCSP.enabled : 0 (linked to Preferences > Advanced > Certificates > "Use OCSP to confirm the current validity of certificates" option)
- extensions.blocklist.enabled : false (optional, only necessary if you're looking forward to install blocklisted extensions - none of the mentioned ones here are blocked at the moment of writing (13/4/2023))
- When Pale Moon starts : Show windows & tabs from last time
- Home Page : blanked out (preferably before letting Pale Moon access internet)
- Downloads : Always ask me where to save files
Don't warn when closing multiple tabs; always show tab bar
- Block pop-up windows
- Disabled WASM
Left to stock
- Custom settings for history
- Don't remember browsing & download history
- Don't remember search & form history
- Accept only 1st-party cookies until Pale Moon is closed
- No Do Not Track header (disabled "Tell sites not to share or sell my data")
HSTS enabled, everything else disabled
- General : Autoscrolling enabled, hardware accel enabled, native UserAgent, no captive portal
- Network : Verbatim default
- Update : All disabled (add-on updates too, in about:addons)
- Certificates : All OCSP settings disabled
- Scrolling : Verbatim default
- Search engine : 4get.ca (load page, go to search engine bar & add it from there)
Back to top
Index - Computers